Mellow Microgreen Salad Mix
A mild and savory microgreen mix that can be served as the star salad ingredient or paired with variety of dishes. Contains Broccoli, Turnip, Purple Kohlrabi & Tendergreen. All seeds are non-GMO & heirloom varieties.
How to Grow Mellow Microgreen Salad Mix
• . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . • . •
You will need:
• Growing Medium, such as Planting Soil or Coconut Coir
• 4 Teaspoons Superfood Microgreen Mix
• 10” x 10” Growing Tray (you can use any size tray, just be sure to adjust the number of seeds accordingly)
• Spray Bottle with Water (for keeping the growing medium moist throughout the growing process)
A NOTE ON SOAKING SEEDS: When growing microgreens, these seeds can be planted either dry or soaked. There are advantages to both approaches. If you decide to soak the seeds prior to planting, you will find that germination comes a little faster and a little easier. However, it can be a bit challenging to spread the wet seeds evenly across the growing medium after draining their soak water. If you decide to plant the seeds dry, they are much easier to spread evenly across the growing medium. However, you will have to pay close attention to the growing medium during the early stages to ensure it is consistently moist enough for the seeds to germinate well.
If soaking seeds, soak in clean water for 8-12 hours prior to planting.
(1) Cover the bottom of the container with an inch or two of moistened soil. Flatten and level it with your hand, being mindful not to compact the soil.
If you’re using coconut coir or another growing medium, follow the manufacturer’s instructions or contact us directly if you need help.
(2) Evenly scatter the seeds onto the growing medium. Press the seeds gently into the soil, and then cover with a very thin layer of soil.
(3) Cover the growing tray with a lid or another tray. The key is to keep the growing medium moist so that the seeds can germinate well, and also to keep light out.
(4) Lightly mist the soil once or twice daily throughout the growing process. It is important that the soil stays moist, but not too damp (too much moisture can lead to mold). A good indicator is to look at the soil: you want it to always appear dark, not dried out.
(5) When your microgreens have developed leaves (usually after 3 - 4 days), its time to remove the cover and move the growing tray to an area with plenty of natural light. Continue misting the crop with water 2 times per day, paying attention to the moisture level of the soil.
(6) Mellow Microgreen Mix should be ready for ideal harvest in about 10 days. You may prefer to harvest a little sooner or later depending on your preference. Feel free to taste the greens throughout the growing process to see what you like!
It is important to keep the sprouting tray in an area where the temperature is consistently at least 60 degrees (day and night).
Remember - Growing microgreens requires a learning process, just like anything. Be patient with yourself, and know that you are developing a lifelong skill. It may take a couple attempts to master the process, but soon you will be a pro. Always feel free to contact us if you have any questions along the way – we’re very happy to help!